Erie Canal Park
Location: Camillus (west of Syracuse), Onondaga County
Directions: From Route 5, exit north onto Newport Road, then turn right onto Devoe Road. Erie Canal Park is on the right, just north of the Old Erie Canal.
N43o 3.149 - W76o 18.202
Alt. Parking: A parking area off Thompson Road, near the dock and aqueduct.
N43o 4.351 - W76o 16.820
Hiking Time: 1.5 hour loop
Length: 2.5-mile loop
, 3.6 miles total trails
Difficulty: 2 boots
Surface: Dirt and gravel trail
Trail Markings: None
Uses: Hike and ski all trails. Bikes are allowed on Erie Canalway Trail (not on Clinton�s Ditch, Trillium, or Dill�s Trails.
Dogs: OK on leash
Contact: Erie Canal Park
, 5750 Devoe Road, Camillus, NY 13031
(315) 488-3409 http://www.eriecanalcamillus.com/aqueduct.htm
The enlarged Erie Canal was abandoned in 1922, then sat idle until 1972 when the town of Camillus purchased a seven-mile stretch. Since then an army of volunteers has been busy clearing the land, building dams, refilling the canal with water, and building a replica of Sims� store. The original Sims� store was built in 1856 at the intersection of Warners Road and the canal. It served as a general store, home for the Sims family, and departure point for people boarding the canal boats. The store was destroyed by fire in 1863, the replica lives on today. The first floor is setup like the original store. The second floor houses exhibits and antiques of the era along with models of locks, aqueducts, and canal boats. Sims� Museum is open Saturdays year-round from 9 AM until 1 PM, and Sundays from 1 PM until 5 PM, May through October, and 1 PM to 4 PM, November through April.
The trails are available year-round during daylight hours. This trail circumnavigates the historic enlarged Erie Canal and parallels sections of the original Clinton�s Ditch. It also takes you to view the remains of the aqueduct, which once carried the canal waters over Nine Mile Creek. Volunteers at Erie Canal Park have plans to re-line the aqueduct and float water in this segment of the Old Erie Canal. Rain shelters are built at several locations along the trail.
To extend your walk, there is an additional 0.5 mile loop from the Sims� Museum on Dill�s Trail. Dill�s Landing was once a wide waters and boat slip along Clinton�s Ditch. Cross Devoe Road, and take a quick right onto the trail. The trail will �Y� with the left leading to a view of the pond and the right leading past interpretive signs to the stone-lined cavity of the old boat slip and an old house foundation.
�From the parking area at Sims� store, walk west toward Devoe Road. Just before the road, turn left and cross a wooden bridge.
�Turn left (E) onto the path on the opposite side of the canal.
�At the pedestrian bridge, turn right on the West Feeder Trail.
�Reach the end of the feeder, and turn left around its end to return on the opposite side.
�Reach the canal and turn right (E).
�Reach the entrance to Trillium Trail, and turn right.
�Cross three wooden bridges as this trail winds through the woods.
�At 0.9 mile, you�ll reach the canal again. Turn right.
�Reach the dock at 1.6 miles. (A parking area is to the left on Thompson Road.) Continue straight to a dead end at the aqueduct. All that remains are the stone supports for the wooden trough and the towpath.
�Turn around and walk back to the dock.
�Turn right, then a quick left, to continue walking on the other side of the canal, now heading west.
�Turn right onto Clinton�s Ditch Trail.
�Continue on the trail to the parking area at Sims� Museum.
Date Hiked: ___________