Here are ten ideas to feed your adventurous spirit. Make getting exercise fun by having
a goal in mind. You can hike or bicycle to these great discoveries without traveling far
1. Walk the land where Seneca Indians initiated an annual ring of fire around
2. Drive through the only covered bridge in New York state (Newfield,
NY) on your way to hike or ski Arnot Forest.
3. Explore waterfalls in spectacular shale gorges formed by centuries of water erosion
in Watkins Glen and Fillmore Glen State Parks.
4. Ride tree-shaded trails where steam locomotives once hauled Pennsylvania coal to
ports on Lake Ontario on Ontario Pathways Trails.
5. Learn what botanists see when they walk through an old growth forest at Camillus
Forest Unique Area.
6. Experience life from a bygone era while riding the towpath of the abandoned Erie
Canal from Port Byron to Camillus.
7. Pick blueberries in the Finger Lakes National Forest.
8. Discover a living bog at Urbana State Forest.
9. Explore remains of mills from the 1800s along Keuka Lake Outlet Trail.
10. Climb to the top of a fire tower with panoramic views in Sugar Hill State Forest.
Details on these and many other free, fun adventures can be found in the books:
Take A Hike! Family Walks in the Rochester Area
Take A Hike! Family Walks in the Finger Lakes & Genesee Valley Region
Take Your Bike! Family Rides in the Rochester Area
Take Your Bike! Family Rides in the Finger Lakes & Genesee Valley Region
Snow Trails -Cross
Country Ski & Snowshoe in Central & Western NY
The books can be found at local stores or ordered by calling
or through web site http://www.footprintpress.com
(price = $16.95 + 1.36 tax = $18.31 per book, shipping is free).